02 October 2008

At the risk of sounding like a nudist

"Evolution may explain how we came from apes, but it does nothing to explain why we wear clothes." - Donald Miller, Searching for God Knows What

Why do we wear clothes? To stay warm? Yes. But what about people who don't need clothes to stay warm?

"I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." - Adam, Genesis 3:10

In ten verses, Adam and his wife go from being naked and unashamed to afraid of God.

Why? Because the glory of God is no longer shared with them. Now, they look at themselves, taking their eyes off their Creator, who made them in His image, and they see that the image is no longer Pure, no longer Holy.

And they are afraid.

So from this point on, we cover ourselves, trying to look better in the eyes of men. For God doesn't care what clothes we wear. "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." - 1 Samuel 16:7

So, as I sit washing my clothes in the laundromat, I read this and think about it. Why does our society require that we wear clothes? Why do we care that society requires it?

[Don't worry. My clothes will stay on.]


No comments:

Post a Comment