24 November 2008

Home


"I am ready to go home... I'm packin' my bags and I'm hittin' the road."

These past coupla days, those lyrics from Shawn McDonald have been echoing through my head. I haven't been home since late June, and even then only for two nights between mission trip and basic.

And I'm pumped: I can't wait to see my family and friends. And home cookin'... oh, home cookin'.

But there's something else there, too. I don't think it's strong enough to call it apprehension, but it's there. I wonder what things back home have changed.I wonder how much I've changed.

The fact is, I'm growing up, and I'm not sure I like it. Gone are the days when I stood in the garden in nothing but a diaper, a curious look on my face and a wiffle ball in my hand. Here are the days when I stand in uniform, a serious look on my face and hand raised in salute.

"Time
is a wheel in constant motion,
always rolling us along.
Tell me who
wants to look back on their youth and wonder
where those years have gone?"*

I'm content with where they've gone - and excited for where they're going.

* "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to post that picture of you!

    Bud, you've done more, and done better, in nearly 19 years than most people do in a lifetime.

    Keep it up; your wheel has many interesting turns to go!

    And don't forget:

    Your daddy loves you.

    Pa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad is right! Also that picture makes a lot of us feel very old because we can remember when you were that age visiting the newsroom.

    Looks like you've worked off that gut, however.

    Enjoy your time home!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete