21 March 2009

Recognize

Sitting here in the USO at DFW, just got back from a trip toa mall in Dallas. What else to do with a nine hour layover?

Our taxi driver - I didn't even catch his name - was an Ethopian immigrant. Riding shotgun, I had told him we were headed to Guatemala for a mission trip, and he later asked if I'd ever thought about going to Africa for a trip. I said no, not really - I know Spanish and my heart is for Latin America. He told me of the problems of his country - problems which started thirty years ago with a communist takeover from the king. But when the king left, poverty and starvation came.

I mentioned Raz, a kid in my squad from Madagascar, and some of the differences he'd noticed between America and Africa. "Yes," our driver said, "America is a good country. But we still have work."

The problem, he said, is that we do not recognize God. He quoted Romans 3:23, "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." The president, his king, the people - all are sinners, he said. We cannot change that. But if we recognize God, we can change the world.

This taxi driver is changing the world. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment