25 May 2009

Sacrifice

"Love has no one greater than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." - Jesus (John 15:13)

It's Memorial Day - a day to remember those who fight for our lives, who show great love for friends they don't know. It is a great sacrifice and a great love. I thank them for that. I thank them for my life and my freedom - my freedom even to write these words.

Yet why are we so willing to sacrifce for our country, to support our troops, when missionaries go unremembered the world over? They fight for a greater cause and face the same - and greater - challenges. We send care packages to our troops. We pray for our troops. But how often do we pray for the missionaries and the lost souls they are struggling to save?

I am very grateful for our troops, past and present. And I am ready to answer my nation's call. I pray that I will be even more ready to answer the Lord's call.

"We know that there is only one answer when our country demands that we share in the price of freedom - yet when the Lord Jesus asks us to pay the price for world evangelization, we often answer without a word. We cannot go. We say it costs too much...

"Some might say, isn't it too great a price to pay? When missionaries consider themselves - their lives before God - they consider themselves expendable...

"'Except a corn of wheat fall to the ground and die, it abideth alone,' the apostle Paul said. 'I die daily. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.'" - Nate Saint, Jungle Pilot

Let me be a sacrifice like that. Let me serve like that.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great post. I offer my own today for you to look at:
    http://freefromeditors.blogspot.com/2009/05/callen-courtemanche-life-to-remember.html

    ReplyDelete