05 October 2009

the real thing

Walking back from BSU (Baptist Student Union - my Bible study), I caught up with Kate and a four-dig she knows. The four-dig had also come from SPIRE- in fact, the Atheist SPIRE group. Which is strange, becuase although SPIRE stands for Special Programs In Religious Education, it's mostly Bible studies.

So I asked: what does the Atheist SPIRE group talk about? Mainly moral issues, documentaries on 'Jesus Camps,' which are apparently summer camps specializing in brainwashing, and House. Interesting.

She, in turn, asked what we talk about at 'actual' SPIRE. Mostly Jesus, we answered, but if she really wanted to know, she should join us - after all, it couldn't hurt.

"I think I will," she responded. "I've never actually been to anything real like that."

If only she knew how true that statement was.

And this comes on the heels of a night where Bill, our director, shared the story of his upbringing in outward righteousness, the do's and don'ts. Bill came to know the real thing.

Do you know the real thing?

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." - Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment