07 February 2010

In my Father's house

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. -John 14:2-3

It's so clear - why didn't I see it before?

Our Pastor at Woodmen Valley Chapel focused on this passage this morning, and he pointed out a meaning I've never seen before: Jesus is using a metaphor which has been lost in our culture.

He's talking about a Hebrew wedding: a young Hebrew man would go with his father to meet with the girl he wanted to marry and her father. At the meeting, they would be betrothed, and there marriage would be a done deal - all but consummated.

The young man would then return to his father's house and begin to add on a room for him and his bride. Once it was ready, they would be married, and they would consummate it.

Jesus is getting ready to consummate our marriage.

"I will come back and take you to be with me."

Lord Jesus, come quickly.

1 comment:

  1. It was a really great message this morning, wasn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete