04 March 2010

Spring Fever

Just because it's 51 and sunny doesn't mean the snow isn't still knee deep - at least in Colorado.

Went for a run today in my Vibram FiveFingers, and felt great. So great, in fact, that I couldn't help but laugh out loud, charging down the mountain on a snow-covered deer trail, jogging through ankle-deep, ice-cold mud on the power line road.

I've got spring fever: it's warm, it's sunny, it's changing. I don't want to be inside all afternoon. I'd go crazy. I'll take Annie Dillard's advice: "Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you."

I've had a real longing lately to spend my days running on the beaches of Florida or the forests of Michigan. I've never liked running so much before - I've never realized we were designed to run.

Go barefoot. Go running.

2 comments: