28 April 2010

You got a tat?

One of my squadmates just walked into my room and saw my tattoo.

"Nate, you have a tattoo? I didn't think religious people did that. Doesn't the Bible say you can't?"

"Yeah, in Leviticus 19:28. But Leviticus 19:27 says not to trim your beard."

We launched into an interesting conversation: my squadmate wants a tattoo, but didn't think he should because "religious people" look down on it. He then asked if I was familiar with the hymn "It is Well with my Soul" - apparently, his great-grandfather wrote it. After losing everything in the Chicago fire, he decided to start over with his three daughters and his wife in Britain. He sent his family over, planning to join them soon, but the ship sank on the way and only his wife survived. When he took a boat over, he wrote the song when he came to the spot his daughters drowned.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows, like sea billows, roll
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

He and his wife decided to restart once more in Israel, so they began doing ministry there. To this day, my squadmate's family owns hotels and hospitals there, and my squadmate has been there a few times. We talked of the conflict, how the Palestinians have been blocked from his family's hospital. It's a horrible conflict.

We even talked about doing a mission trip there, and I recommended he come to BSU so he can make some connections and maybe we could line something up for the Spring.

I never really thought my tattoo could open doors like that.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one of my most favorite hymns. I love the way Selah sings it. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is your tat, and what is it?
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Nina, but I don't want to put that out in public.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. Didn't realize you had one too. Must be new. Cool.

    ReplyDelete