10 May 2010

Education

On my way to the cadet store for some celebratory Good & Plentys, I stopped in the barber shop for a haircut. As I waited, one of the barber ladies was studying with a cadet for one of her finals tomorrow.

Fractions. Pre-algebra.

I say that not to scorn her - rather, she deserves praise. I can't imagine studying that stuff at 40 years old. That takes courage.

We chatted a bit as she cut my hair - she asked about my finals, and I about hers. She wants to become a dental hygienist or a nurse. Some days she feels way over her head, and others she feels like she's got it down. "Do you feel like that too?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Well then I must be doing something right, huh?"

I think she'll make a great dentist.

Around here, it's easy to get down, easy to feel like I'm in over my head. But today was a small reminder of how much of a blessing this place is. I get paid to go to school, to study advanced subjects, even to go to the Dominican Republic for four weeks.

Why do we complain about doing what so many wish they could be doing?

1 comment:

  1. God is far more interested in who you are than in what you do. We are human beings, not human doings. God is much more concerned about your character than your career, because you will take your character into eternity, but not your career.

    Jesus did not die on the cross just so we could live comfortable, well-adjusted lives. His purpose is far deeper: he wants to make us like himself before he takes us to heaven. This is our greatest privilege, our immediate responsibility, and our ultimate destiny.

    df

    pa

    ReplyDelete