29 June 2010

Git swol

I hadn't worked out with weights since freshman year of high school. I usually just ran or swam or biked for my workouts. Until last week.

Why did I start lifting again? There are a number of reasons.

First, the gym's close, and free. That's one nice thing about being on base: a warm-up jog takes me to the front door of a well-equipped and clean gym.

Second, it feels good. Of course, so does running, but that doesn't do much for my arms.

Third, I need to build upper body strength to get ready to train Basic Cadets. I can't just take them on a five-mile run every afternoon.

Fourth, I'm jealous of my little bro. Kid put on like forty pounds since I left home, and he can take me - sometimes - in a wrestling match.

Fifth, it looks good. I've never been a fan of "show muscle". You know those guys with really big, useless muscles? I don't want that. I guess I got that from my dad, and from Barry. Muscles are useless if you can't buck a thousand bales of hay with them. But, they can look good and be useful. That's what I'm going for.

So, sixth, they're useful. For training basics and bucking hay and swinging hammers.

And beating little bro in wrestling matches.

1 comment:

  1. LITTLE bro?
    Whatcha gonna do about those two inches in height he has on you?

    ;)

    df

    pa

    ReplyDelete