28 June 2010

You can trust me.

Trust is a weird thing, isn't it?

I remember talking to my dad about trust. He told me there are three guys he would answer if they asked him to show up in the middle of the night with a shovel and a shotgun.

"What's the shovel for?" I asked.

"Doesn't matter. I trust them, and they told me to bring a shovel."

There are few people I trust. Dad's one of them, and so is one of the men he trusts. There are maybe three others. It takes a while to earn my trust, and not too long to lose it. I guess I'm introverted in that sense.

At the same time, I feel I'm a person who can be trusted. But I've realized that telling someone, "You can trust me" doesn't demonstrate trustworthiness at all. It's mostly just words. A phrase won't create trust. Trust takes time.

I'll earn your trust making memories of us. - Keith Urban

I suppose that's true, whether or not it's a romantic relationship. I trust my dad because he dove into a muddy pond to pull me out. Because he pulled countless pieces of gravel out of my leg. Because he always got me home safe, whether we were walking or riding or driving. I trust the other man because he showed up to the hospital when I needed someone. Those are memories, memories of me with them, when I needed them most - and lots of memories when I was in no danger, but it was nice to have them around.

Of course, one of the reasons I trust both of these men is their faith: I've seen them proclaim it, and I've seen it in action. I trust these men because they trust God.

Some trust in chariots and some trust in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. - Psalm 20:7

1 comment:

  1. By the way, your Dad is on my list too. I describe trust from my experience as a police officer and enlisted Navy man many years ago.

    Would I lay down my life for him, and would he lay his life down for me? If yes, I trust him or her.

    The Bible uses the "lay down your life" model. Of course, most parents would do that for their children and grandchildren, but it is more remarkable when one is willing to do it for friends, and even strangers.

    There are few people in my life with whom I share secrets. As a former reporter I guard my confidences closely. If you are in the small circle of folks who I will share confidences it is because I trust you.

    Jesus was the prime example of "Trust."

    ReplyDelete