06 August 2010

Profess

"Yet it is admirable to profess because it was once admirable to live." - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

It's the second day of class, and those words wouldn't stop running through my head. I don't want to sit in a class and listen to an instructor who hasn't lived. One who's spent his whole life in academia.

For the most part, I won't. My GeoPolitics instructor spent his summer travelling literally around the world. My thermodynamics instructor worked on kill vehicles as part of the missile defense system. My lab instructor has six kids. In my history class, we'll read The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education by Craig Mullaney: West Point Grad, Rhodes Scholar and US Army Ranger.

It should be a good semester. Another quote running through my head in Ethics class, talking about the morality of war:

"Many that live deserve death. And many that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be so quick to deal out death in judgement." - Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings

1 comment:

  1. Ethics classes in the college curriculum, even in a military environment, can make for a fascinating discussion...though sometimes you have to come spiritually prepared. In my experience, ethics professors were the counterexample to the conservative/Republican/religious stereotype of the military environment.

    ReplyDelete