17 August 2010

Simple.

It started with hammocks. Now the back-to-basics idea has permeated a lot of my life.

I wear my huaraches nearly everywhere. They're simple, cheap, and comfortable. People have been wearing them for thousands of years. People have been running in them for thousands of years. Who needs EVA foam and Shox and arch support? No one, really. Simple.

I climb. I've been climbing since I was a toddler. It started with the kitchen counter - and I have the scars to prove it. I climbed in trees; my mom yelled at me for getting sap on my clothes. Now, I climb in the base rock gym three times a week, building strength, trying to learn form. Climbing, like running, is a simple, inborn sport. It doesn't take much to get started. All I have is a pair of climbing shoes, and I boulder. Simple.

I check ingredients lists. If the ingredients list is longer than three short lines or has any words I can't pronounce or High Fructose Corn Syrup, I try to avoid it. I go for organic foods, foods with less than ten ingredients, for 100% juice. I make pancakes with heirloom seeds and cornmeal. They're delicious. Simple.

I backpack. I'm becoming a minimalist. I take a hammock, a tarp if it looks like rain, a sleeping bag, and some food. I want to camp, as for night, to avoid settling down on earth and forgetting eternity. Simple.

The truth is, Jesus lived simply. He didn't let society or materialism or anything else get in his way. Now, I'm not saying Jesus was a tree-hugger. Now that I think about it, that's morbid. Jesus is the Savior of the world, and He has much more to teach us than what kind of shoes to wear.

But a simple life is a better life. I want to "learn the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." - Philippians 4:12

1 comment:

  1. I think you're becoming, for lack of a better word, something of a hippie. You feel better if you eat organic, limited ingredient food, I've discovered. And everything else... simple is amazing. I agree.

    ReplyDelete