29 August 2010

Stress

Life's been busy lately, and there's been a lot hanging over my head: GR's (Graded Reviews, USAFA-speak for "test"), scholarship application, honor cases... it piles up. It stresses me out. What if I don't study enough? What if I don't get selected for the scholarship? What if it doesn't work out?

I go to climb and I go to run to reduce stress. But, as Matt Heard talked about at Woodmen Valley Chapel this morning, sometimes we get distracted by painkillers. When Peter denied Jesus, he was always "warming himself by the fire". Am I "warming myself by the fire" of the climbing wall? Of the trail?

But what God's shown me is that He has it under control. I need to do my part and do my best, but I don't need to worry about the future. If I'll need a joint master's degree in public policy and business administration, He'll get me one. If I don't, He won't waste my time.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say thanks. This is definitely something I needed to hear right now. So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Do your best, son. God has your back.

    df

    pa

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What if I don't get selected for the scholarship?"

    Who controls your destiny?

    If you do, then you really do have a lot to worry about. If you don't, well, then...

    To your other point, I think there's a difference between staying in a comfort zone and seeking retreat in a time of pressure. Even Jesus had his garden.

    ReplyDelete