19 December 2010

Mist

My spinouts in the BSU driveway hadn't prepared me for this. Now both front and rear wheels were sliding.

The conditions had changed so fast. One minute, the pavement was dry and clear. The next, with light, floating snow, my back end slipped. I slowed, got it under control, kept my speed down.

Going 45, my back spins out. I start drifting into the other lane. I overcorrect. Start spinning to the right.

"No, no, NO, NO, NO!"

I remember it all. The stars lit up the snow and the mountains as they twisted around me. I faced back down the road. I was going in the ditch. I remember wondering - and recalling, calculating - how fast I was going. Too fast. I wouldn't be able to drive out of this one. My Jeep would be crushed.

My rear end slid off the road, into the ditch. Suddenly, I was stopped. I paused. I'm alive. My Jeep isn't crushed. I slipped in four-wheel, off the brake, off the clutch, on the gas. Nothing. Am I spinning? That would suck.

No. It stalled. Let's turn it back on. Four-wheel. Easy. Drive out. Got it. Pull off the road, push on the four-ways. Grab my Surefire and check for damage.

Jeep looks fine - not even a scratch. There are no parts in the snow where I went off. A couple cars go by. I get back in, pray, thank God for keeping me safe. Drive off. Stay in third gear, four-wheel drive.

Whew. Thank you, Lord.

Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. - James 4:14

5 comments:

  1. Back in the day, we didn't have blogs to inform our parents on the latest vehicular incident in which we cheated death.
    She would walk out to the driveway and look at the mud stalagmites climbing to the sky under a rusty old Scout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome is it that G-d protected you and your vehicle? I really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. i am glad you are okay.. yay!

    ReplyDelete