08 April 2012

Worth it?

We lost another cadet yesterday. He was killed instantly in a car accident.

I knew who he was - he was in D Flight when I was C Flight cadre during BCT 2010. I yelled at him when he screwed up, and even laughed at him when he did something embarrassing.

I'm not proud of that.

He came to BSU a couple times. I don't think I ever talked to him there.

And now he's gone. And I found out more about his life from General Clark than I ever knew from talking to him.

I'm not proud of that.

Was he saved? Is he in heaven now? Why didn't I do more for him?

I could've done more. I didn't have to laugh at him. I could've talked to him.
You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations - these are mortal, and their is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.
- C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

4 comments:

  1. really good, challenging thoughts. especially the quote from Lewis. now to put it into practice today, and tomorrow (speaking for myself).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote and great point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this Nathan. Good points for all of us to remember.

    ReplyDelete