07 October 2012

Expectations

"The secret to happiness is low expectations," or so my economics professor liked to say.

I don't think he's right when it comes to life, but I certainly don't think he's right when it comes to marriage.

I need someone who has high expectations for me. I always have needed people like that. My parents expected me to get good grades. I worked for a framer who demanded my cuts be straight and my work be square. My academic advisor was disappointed when I got a B.

I thrive under people like that. And I want - need - my marriage to thrive. So I need someone who will push me to be a better husband, a better man, a better Christian.

I don't want to live a life of mediocrity. It wouldn't be worth living.

So thanks to my better half for making this half better.

No comments:

Post a Comment